CALL 14-2018-1 - Research Position at the Communication Technologies Division – PHYCOM Department – ReproRun project-
The Communication Technologies Division of the CTTC is searching for interested candidates in a Research position in its Physical-layer Implementation of High Performance Communication Systems (PHYCOM) Department in the framework of the ReproRun project (H2020 ORCA, Second Call for Extensions, EXT1). For more information about the Department please refer to http://technologies.cttc.es/phycom/.
The candidate must hold a Master degree in telecommunications, electrical, computer engineering or related disciplines, and should have experience in the area of software defined radio (SDR), digital signal processing (DSP) and embedded programming using FPGA devices.
The selected candidate will:
- Become a member of the research team of the project.
- Support the team members in the preparation of the reports of the project.
- Participate in dissemination activities of the project, including technical papers to be submitted to international conferences and peer-reviewed journals.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
We are looking for highly motivated, enthusiastic junior scientists, with a MSc in electrical engineering or related fields, aiming at significantly improving their career perspectives in both public and private sectors. Excellent research skills and analytical abilities are required, fluency in English (spoken and written), proactive communication skills and problem solving as part of a team, solid programming skills (see below), strong record keeping, great work ethic and initiatives are essential characteristics. Previous experience in fields related to the specific position is a plus.
- The applicants must have a deep understanding of OS architecture (Linux or other UNIX-like OS), a strong background on embedded systems, Linux kernel space and user space programming, one of RTOS and real-time programming techniques, be familiar with the modern ARM 32 and 64-bit architecture and GNU compiler toolchain. The candidate would also possess FPGA design skills and experience in HW-SW co-design practices applied to device families such as the Xilinx Zynq-7000. Accordingly, the candidate must be familiar with Xilinx Vivado Design Suite. The applicants should be able to demonstrate the mentioned skills through an implementation portfolio. Hands-on knowledge or previous exposure on wireless communications standards, digital signal processing techniques and SDR will be considered an ideal match.
- At least 2 years’ experience in hardware/firmware design, C, C++, Linux shell scripting, Matlab and HDL languages (e.g., VHDL or Verilog), debugging and profiling tools (e.g., gdb, perf), using version control systems (Git) and IDEs.
- Experience in participating in the entire development cycle: from system conception and specifications, through high level modeling, FPGA development and real-time testing, debugging and performance validation of the developed algorithm or (sub-)system.
- Outstanding oral and writing English skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, and ability to work in an international team.
- Experience from participating in national and international research projects with partners from academia and industry is also an advantage.
- Hands-on experience on Xilinx Partial Configuration design cycle will be considered a valuable asset.
- Design experience with the Ettus USRP X and E series platforms and RFNoC framework.
- Design experience with the Xilinx ZC706 board when combined with the AD-FMCOMMS2/3 SDR RF front-end.
- Prior research experience in academia or industry.
- Career distinctions.
- Experience in leading and/or participating in the preparation of scientific publications.
- Experience in preparation of EC funded research grant proposals.
A full-time fixed term contract aligned with the duration-frame of the ReproRun project (H2020 ORCA Extension Ext1) ending on May 31st, 2019 is offered. The starting date is flexible starting after the selection process is finalized. The rank and salary will be determined according to qualifications and work experience.
Applications should include:
- Full CV including name (email address, etc.) of three referees.
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken.
- Cover letter stating the motivation and suitability of the candidate.
CTTC is particularly interested in candidates with good balance of academic qualifications and know-how in their field of knowledge and possibilities to take up the work with a flexible starting date. The application documents must be submitted in pdf format through this online application. No applications received by email will be taken into consideration for the position.
The deadline for applications is November 10, 2018. For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya (CTTC), in Castelldefels – Barcelona, is a growing and well-funded research institution fostering excellence and diversity. CTTC offers a highly international environment at an exceptionally attractive location. As a research center in telecommunications technologies CTTC provides a fertile environment for research cooperation and innovation between different disciplines.
CTTC seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
CTTC is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.