CALL 16-2017-1 - Researcher position at the Communication Technologies Division – Smart Energy Efficient Communication Technologies Department
The Communication Technologies Division at CTTC invites applications for one Researcher position. The successful applicant should have a PhD degree in Telecommunications, Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or a closely related field. The applicant will be incorporated in the SMARTECH department (http://technologies.cttc.es/smartech/)
The position is associated with the IoSense project, funded from the Electronic Component Systems for European Leadership Joint Undertaking under grant agreement No 692480. This Joint Undertaking receives support from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme and also from the Member States: Germany, Netherlands, Slovakia, Spain, and Austria.
The successful candidate will conduct both academic and experimental system research toward the future 5G wireless networks and IoT integration. Particular emphasis will be given to the design of efficient fronthaul (including mmWave frequencies and massive MIMO) and slicing solutions for different vertical applications. The performance of the envisioned methods/algorithms will be evaluated both in simulators and in existing SMARTECH platforms.
The selected candidate will:
- Become a member of the research team of the project
- Carry out research activities associated to the SMARTECH department
- Support the team members in the preparation of the reports of the project
- Participate in dissemination activities of the project, including technical papers to be submitted to international conferences and peer-reviewed journals
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The successful applicant should have a PhD degree in Telecommunications, Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or a closely related field. Upon successful completion of the fixed-term contract, a renewal might be considered depending on the achieved performance and the available funding opportunities by that time.
- Outstanding oral and writing English skills.
- Excellent publication record in top scientific peer-reviewed journals (e.g., IEEE Transactions and Magazines).
- Good analytical skills in the areas of Stochastic Geometry and/or Optimization.
- Good knowledge of radio resource allocation and management in cellular networks.
- Background in mmWave wireless communications and Massive MIMO.
- Understanding of current technology trends in 5G such as network slicing, virtualization and SDN/MEC/NFV.
- Very good programming skills in C/C++ and MATLAB.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, and ability to work in an international team.
Experience from participating in national and international research projects with partners from academia and industry is also an advantage.
- Hands-on experience on wireless network platforms.
- Familiarization with cross-layer network design.
- Experience in potential vertical applications for IoT based wireless networks, such as smart grid, V2V and eHealth.
- Prior research experience in academia or industry.
- Career distinctions.
- Experience in leading and/or participating in the preparation of scientific publications.
- The successful applicant would have to work autonomously and be an excellent team player.
The position is for a full-time fixed term, for 16-17 months and the contract will be aligned with the duration-frame of the IoSense project. The starting date is flexible from December 2017 to the beginning of January 2018. The rank and salary will be determined according to qualifications and work experience. The salary will be in the range between 32.000 and 42.000 euro (gross per year). The contract may be extended to 24 or 36 months depending on the availability of research funds from other funded research projects in the SMARTECH Department.
Applications should be sent in PDF format through this online application. It should include:
• Full CV, including a list of publications and name (email address, etc) of three referees
• Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken
• Cover letter stating the motivation and suitability of the candidate
CTTC is particularly interested in candidates with good balance of academic qualifications and know-how in their field of knowledge and possibilities to take up the work with a flexible starting date. The application documents must be submitted in pdf format through this online application. No applications received by email will be taken consideration for the position.
The deadline for applications is November 30, 2017, but the deadline might be postponed if the position is not filled by that time. Applications will be considered and evaluated on receipt, therefore applying before the deadline is encouraged. For further information, please contact Dr. Christos Verikoukis (email@example.com) .
CTTC seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. CTTC is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.