Call 5/2013-1 - FPI PHD FELLOWSHIP IN OPTICAL NETWORKS & SYSTEMS
The Optical Networking & Systems Department of the Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya (CTTC) offers a Fellowship (FPI) from the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (MINECO) to carry out a PhD Thesis associated to the Fundamental Research Project “Integrating control and transmission technologies for flexible, elastic and spectrum-efficient optical networks” (FARO). Project code: TEC2012-38119.
The aim of the FARO project (Integrating control and transmission technologies for flexible, elastic and spectrum-efficient optical networks) is to investigate, from an integrated approach, optical OFDM (O-OFDM) transmission and GMPLS/PCE control technologies as the key enablers for elastic optical networks, leveraging the bandwidth/bit rate variable optical transponders and an advanced control plane, for the dynamic provisioning of adaptive connectivity services with recovery, in both single and multi-domain contexts. This macroscopic objective includes the following scientific and technological ones:
• Identification of a concrete list of functional requirements, use cases and scenarios that drive the main scientific and technological work within the FARO project.
• Design and implementation of SDOT systems based on tuneable, bandwidth and bit rate variable O-OFDM transponders
• Development of resource-efficient techniques for O-OFDM transmission enhancement, including distortionless PAPR mitigation and performance monitoring with reduced overhead.
• New techniques, algorithms and procedures advancing the state of art of multilayer/RSA algorithms with electrical/optical grooming, the subsequent network optimization, and their dissemination.
• Implementation and assessment of the applicability of a GMPLS/PCE control plane for multi-layer optical networks by means of its deployment, along with the numerical (quantitative) evaluation of its performance.
• Conception of a virtual elastic optical network resource broker and service composition manager.
• Experimental validation and evaluation of the integrated elastic optical network prototype.
We are looking for students with a MS degree in Telecommunications or Computer Science, with a good academic record, and a strong motivation for research in optical networks or optical communication systems. The Fellowship-contract has a maximum duration of 48 months (24 months of fellowship tenure + 24 months of work contract tenure). The fellowship stipend will be 1.142€ per month (gross). Online submission of application forms will be open from August 26 to September 10, 2013. Instructions and more information about the submission process are available at the MINECO website
Interested candidates contact with:
Raul Muñoz, PhD
Communication Networks Division
Optical Networks & Systems Department
CTTC – Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya
Av. Carl Friedrich Gauss 7, 08860 Castelldefels (Barcelona), Spain.
Tel: +34 93 645 29 13. Fax: +34 93 645 29 01.
CTTC homepage: http://www.cttc.es