CALL 22-2019-1 - Researcher position in the Communication Systems Division – Statistical Inference for Communications and Positioning Department
The Communications Systems Division of the CTTC is searching for interested candidates in a Researcher position within the Statistical Inference for Communications and Positioning Department.
We are looking for a highly motivated and skillful engineer who is willing to deepen his/her knowledge in AI-related techniques such as deep learning and reinforcement learning applied to wireless communication networks.
We offer the opportunity to participate in the State Research Development and Innovation Program by contributing to the ARISTIDES project, a three-year R&D project (“Retos Investigación”), oriented to address societal challenges. Its main objective is to advance the fundamental knowledge and increase the performance of learning and inference techniques for high-dimensional data processing and wireless communications. One specific project objective consists in exploring the feasibility of end-to-end learning of communication systems, with special emphasis on the physical layer functionalities. ARISTIDES will develop a demonstrator for machine learning and AI-driven future wireless communication systems based on software defined radio modules. The selected candidate is expected to develop an experimental platform based on USRPs to test machine-learning communication algorithms under realistic channel conditions. The offered position is an excellent opportunity to further develop the candidate’s SDR skills, acquire state-of-the-art experience on wireless communication networks demonstrators, as well as cutting-edge knowledge on machine learning/AI-related techniques for communication systems.
For information about the ARISTIDES project, visit http://www.cttc.es/project/aristides/. The project is financed by the Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovación y Universidades (Grant Number RTI2018-099722-B-I00).
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Applicants must have a Bachelor or Master‘s degree in Telecommunications, Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or a closely related field.
- Good understanding of the fundamentals of wireless communications engineering, with special emphasis on Radio Access Technologies and Physical Layer/MAC procedures.
- Good knowledge of software-defined radio technologies (e.g. GNU-radio).
- Programming skills: Python, C++.
- Proficiency in code versioning (Git or similar).
- Ability to work autonomously and be an excellent team player.
Experience and knowledge in the following topics is considered a plus:
- Familiarity with Machine Learning frameworks such as TensorFlow or PyTorch.
- Experience in R&D or industrial projects carried out either in the context of research institutions or industry.
- Testbed management and experience on proof-of-concept / demonstration development.
- Open source projects.
- English skills.
A full-time fixed-term contract is offered. The duration of the contract is subject to the project duration (approximately 2 years, depending on hiring date). Immediate incorporation is expected. The salary will be determined according to qualifications and work experience of the candidate.
Interested candidates should send their curriculum vitae, together with the additional requested information specified bellow, through this online application. These documents should be sent in PDF format. CVs and any other information gathered during this process will be handled confidentially.
The application must include:
• Full CV, including a list of past projects and publications. Please include (where applicable) detailed information on:
* Description of past projects
* Links to public code repositories
* List of scientific publications, etc.
• A cover letter stating the motivation and suitability of the candidate for this position.
The name of two referees should also be provided, including their contact details such as email address.
Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya (CTTC), in Castelldefels – Barcelona, is a growing and well-funded research institution fostering excellence and diversity. CTTC offers a highly international environment at an exceptionally attractive location. As a research center in telecommunications technologies CTTC provides a fertile environment for research cooperation and innovation between different disciplines.
CTTC seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
CTTC is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.