PhD in Telecommunications Engineering (2012-2016). Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Department of Signal Theory and Communications.
M.Sc., Telecommunications Engineering (1995-2000). Escola Tècnica Superior d’Enginyers de Telecomunicació de Barcelona (ETSETB – UPC).
B.Sc. Electronics Engineering (1991-1995). Escola Universitària Politècnica de Vilanova i la Geltrú (EUPVG – UPC).
Postgraduate courses in Electromagnetic Compatibility and Electrical Safety (2004-2005) and Digital Design Techniques and Reconfigurable Systems (2001). Fundació Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC).
My current research interests are focused on wireless communications and include the design, theoretical analysis, modelling and implementation of energy-efficient protocols for Machine-to-Machine (M2M) networks, Vehicle-to-Everything (V2X) communications and 5G technologies for connected vehicles and Cooperative-Intelligent Transport Systems (C-ITS), as well as the development and integration of embedded systems and cyber-physical systems.
CTTC (since January 2010): Senior Researcher. Working as Principal Investigator of technology transfer projects and public funded research projects. I promote and contribute to the preparation of project proposals, lead the projects’ execution and the IPR contributions of projects’ results. Since 2016, I am promoting and leading a research line of vehicular communications, in which I lead, train, motivate and supervise a team formed by 5 researchers that contribute to projects related to Cooperative-Intelligent Transport Systems for railway and road transport: METRO-LINK+, 5GCroCo, INSPIRE5G+, FEMIoT and 5G-MED. I was the co-founder of the M2M Communications dept. in 2013, and I am the Head of the M2M Communications dept. between April 2020 and September 2020. I have contributed to the definition of the Strategic and Functional Plan of CTTC, I define the researcher’s profiles for new job positions and perform the selection process of junior and senior researchers.
Tinytronic, S.L., currently TinyLoc (December 2007 to December 2009): Head of the R+D department. Company dedicated to the design and manufacturing of radio-tracking and location devices. Working as head of the R+D department, leading a multi-disciplinary team composed of 8 engineers and 2 technicians working in radiofrequency (RF) and digital electronics, embedded systems, antennas and mechanics. Responsible for the design of proprietary communication protocols and product development.
NUB3D, S.L., currently part of ABB (June 2006 to November 2007): Senior R+D Engineer. Company dedicated to the design and manufacturing of 3D-scanners. Responsible for the electronics and optics project management, design, manufacturing and test of the video projection and video acquisition subsystems.
NTE, S.A., currently NTE-SENER (November 1998 to June 2006): R+D Engineer and Project Manager in the Space Division of NTE. Engineering company dedicated to the development and manufacturing of prototypes and flight equipment for the European Space Agency (ESA) and NASA within the micro-gravity field and life-support systems.
PARTICIPATION IN TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER PROJECTS
Since 1998, I have participated in 11 technology transfer projects with industry. I am and have been the Principal Investigator of 8 of these projects. The main outcomes of these technology transfer projects are:
- I have filed 3 patents as inventor.
- I have participated in the development and industrialization of several commercial products for different companies.
The technology transfer projects where I have participated are summarized below:
1) METRO-LINK+ (client MASATS, S.A., 2019-2021): Principal Investigator. C-ITS in railway transport. Extension of the METRO-LINK project. Subcontracted by MASATS in the context of the CBTC-2020 project funded by Programa CIEN.
2) METRO-LINK (client MASATS, S.A., 2016-2017): Principal Investigator. C-ITS in railway transport. Development of a Cyber-Physical System for efficient and smart boarding of passengers in railway transport. It optimizes the flow of passengers and improves safety in rail stations, reduces the duration of trains’ stops and minimizes the energy consumed by automatic doors of trains and platforms. The results of this project were protected with 1 patent.
3) EnergyIoT (client MONOLITIC, S.L., 2019): Principal Investigator. Industrial IoT. Comparative energy consumption analysis of cellular communication technologies for IoT applications.
4) CowTracker (client Tagacow, 2017): Principal Investigator. Development of an IoT device to track and monitor cows. The results of this project were protected with 1 patent.
5) MOTEC+ (client MOTEC Control, S.L., 2016-2017): Principal Investigator. Industry 4.0. Extension of the MOTEC project. The results of this project originated the M2SMART commercial product and were protected with 1 patent.
6) MOTEC (client MOTEC Control, S.L., 2016): Principal Investigator. Industry 4.0. Low-cost flexible system that provides remote and secure access to Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) from maintenance computers.
7) M2M Cloud Factory (now NEXIONA CONNECTOCRATS, 2015): Senior Researcher. Technical Due Diligence for investment round.
8) OpenMAC (client InnoRoute GmbH, 2011-2012): Senior Researcher. Development of a hardware/software architecture based on FPGA for rapid prototyping of MAC protocols.
9) TinyLoc (client Tinytronic, S.L., 2007-2009): Principal Investigator. Development of radio-tracking and location devices. The results of this project originated several commercial products of transmitters and receivers for radiolocation.
10) SIDIO (client Nub3D, S.L., 2006-2007): Principal Investigator. Development of a contactless 3D-scanner based on structured light for the generation of objects’ digitized surfaces. The results of this project originated the SIDIO commercial product.
11) Kit Digitalitzador (client Institut Cartogràfic de Catalunya, 2003-2004). Researcher. Development of a high resolution digital still-camera for aerial photography. Responsible for the design, manufacturing and test of the CCD-image acquisition electronics, and the optics and image acquisition controllers.
PARTICIPATION IN PUBLIC FUNDED RESEARCH PROJECTS
Since 1998, I have participated in 15 competitive research projects funded by the European Space Agency (ESA), the European commission, the Spanish government and Generalitat de Catalunya.
The collaborative research projects funded by the European Space Agency (ESA) where I have participated are summarized below. I have been the Principal Investigator of 1 of these projects.
1) MULTIGEN (2006). Principal Investigator. Development of an equipment for controlling and monitoring the growth of plants in micro-gravity conditions. Responsible for the design, manufacturing, test, and project management.
2) EPU (2005): Researcher. Development of an equipment for the treatment, preparation and defrost of physiological and biological samples to be analyzed on board the ISS.
3) MARES (1998-2006): Researcher. Development of a physiological facility for muscular characterization of astronauts in the International Space Station (ISS) for studying the effects of micro-gravity on the Human Being during long-term missions. Responsible for the design, manufacturing and test of the Supervisory, Controller and Power Electronics Subsystems. The results of this project were 2 flight models, 1 qualification model and 1 training model of the MARES system. Launched to the ISS in 2010.
4) CoupledETC (2014): Senior Researcher. Development of baseband digital signal processing algorithms on Field Programmable Gates Array (FPGA) of synchronization, demodulation and coding techniques for deep-space missions.
The collaborative research projects funded by the European commission where I have participated as Senior Researcher are:
1) H2020-5GMED. H2020-5GPPP-Phase3 (2020-2023). Innovation Action. Total Project budget: 17M€, Total Budget at CTTC: 395.000 euro.
2) H2020-INSPIRE-5Gplus (2019-2021). INtelligent Security and Pervasive tRust for 5G and Beyond.
3) H2020-5GCroCo (2018-2021): 5th Generation Cross-Border Control (H2020-ICT-2018-825050).
4) H2020-P2P-Smartest. H2020 Project (Innovation Action). 2015-2017. Total Budget: 3,5M€, Budget at CTTC: 335.000 Euro.
5) HAEMOSCAN (FP6 project, 2004-2005): In-vivo tissue impedance analyzer for monitoring body fluid balances during dialysis, based on local bio-impedance spectroscopy. Responsible for the development of a bio-impedance measurement instrumentation.
The research projects funded by the Spanish government where I have participated as Senior Researcher are:
1) SensorQ (2019-2021). Funded by the Spanish Ministry of Defense. Development of a high sensitivity wireless sensor network for nerve agent detection.
2) CellFive (2015-2017): Virtual Small Cells for Energy-Efficient Wireless Communications in 5G (Plan Nacional de I+D, Excelencia Científica. Convocatoria 2014).
3) CO2GREEN (2011-2013): Cooperative and Cognitive Techniques for Energy-Efficient Wireless Communications. Plan Nacional de I+D (Plan Avanza 2012) TEC2010-20823.
The research projects funded by the Generalitat de Catalunya where I have participated as Senior Researcher are:
1) Agrupació Tecnològica Emergent FEMIOT (2020-2023). Fostering Emergent Market Internet of things. Total Project Budget: 8 Million euro.
2) Consolidated Research Group (2014-2016) (SGR) Generalitat de Catalunya – AGAUR (2014-SGR-1551)
3) Consolidated Research Group (2009-2015) 2009 SGR 940 Wireless Communications Networks and Access Technologies. Agència de Gestió d’Ajuts Universitaris i de Recerca (Catalan Government)
SUMMARY OF SCIENTIFIC PRODUCTION AND TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER
- 3 Patents filed as inventor; all 3 being used in commercial products.
- 7 commercial products.
- 3 instrumentation systems that have been launched to space and are now on-board the International Space Station: The Muscle Atrophy Research and Exercise System (MARES), the Experiment Preparation Unit (EPU) and MULTIGEN.
- 16 peer-reviewed Journal Papers listed in the JCR.
- 40 papers in International Conferences (the great majority sponsored by IEEE).
- 1 Book Chapter in the topic of 5G for the Connected and Automated Mobility.
- Currently, supervising 1 PhD Student.
- Supervised 20 Master and bachelor’s degree students from Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF), University Mediterranea of Reggio Calabria (Italy), Beijing University of Post and Telecommunications (BUPT), and Alexander TEI of Thesaloniki (Greece).
- Member of the Evaluation Committee of 1 PhD Thesis.
- IEEE Senior Member since 2011.
2014: INFOCOM Best Demo Runner-up Award, for the demo by P. Tuset-Peiró, F. Vazquez-Gallego, J. Alonso-Zarate, L. Alonso, X. Vilajosana, entitled “Demonstrating Low-Power Distributed Queuing for Active RFID Communications at 433 MHz,” presented at INFOCOM 2014, Toronto, Canada, May 2014.
- INVITED TALK: Marie Curie ITN ADVANTAGE Training School: “Experimental Tools for the Internet of Things”, Marie Curie Initial Training Network, ADVANTAGE, CTTC, Castelldefels, Barcelona, October 2015.
- INVITED TALK: DASH7 Alliance Spring Conference 2013: “Towards the Implementation of DQ Access Protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks”, Lodz, Poland, May 2013.
- Since February 2019, lecturer at Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC) in the Master of Telecommunication Engineering for the subject “Microelectronics”
- Since October 2017, lecturer at UOC in the Master Industry 4.0 for the subjects “Development of Cyber-Physical Systems” and “Integration of Cyber-Physical Systems”
- Hands-on course on “Design of Cyber-Physical Systems” at Col·legi d’Enginyers Industrials de Catalunya, May 10, 2017.
I have organized several technology workshops in primary and secondary schools:
- Robotics and coding with Scratch and Arduino (May 2016, May 2017).
- Building Cyber-Physical Systems based on Arduino, sensors, actuators, and the Thinger platform (December 2016).
- Programming video-games with Scratch (December 2015, January 2016, May 2016, February 2017).
- First steps coding with Scratch Junior (March 2016).
- Technology trainer and advisor of the TAC Working Group at Escola Miquel Martí i Pol de Viladecans.
- Advisor of the Working Group “Impulsem la Robòtica” of Viladecans to promote knowledge in robotics, coding and IoT in primary and secondary schools (since November 2016) in collaboration with the Xarxa d’Innovació Educativa.
5GPPP Phase III Project - Contract: H2020-825050
Grant number 646469
2014 SGR 1551