Miguel Ángel Vázquez (Palma, 1986) received the Telecommunication Engineering degree, the Master’s degree, and the Ph.D. (cum laude) degree from Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, Spain, in 2009, 2012, and 2014, respectively. He also holds a degree in Computer Science from National Distance Education University. In parallel to his Ph.D. studies, he worked as a research engineer at CTTC from January 2010. He was a visiting researcher at Patavina Technologies (now A2A) in the context of a Marie Curie Action. His primary areas of interest are the intersection of optimization techniques and machine learning in the wireless communication domain with a special emphasis to the satellite communications field.
Participation in Projects
Participation in over 6 R&D project funded by the European Commission’s Framework Programmes (H2020, FP7, CELTIC, ARTEMIS) as well as in the Spanish research programmes including leading work-packages and tasks. He acted as internal principal investigator (PI) several European Space Agency contracts:
- Next Generation Waveform for Improved Spectral Efficiency (co-PI).
– Satellite Network of Experts IV (co-PI).
– SatNEx IV – Precoding in Dynamic Multibeam Satellite Systems (PI).
– SatNEx IV – Distributed Satellite Ground Stations and Virtualized Gateways: Challenges and Opportunities (PI).
- RFSPS – Radio Frequency Signal Processing Studies and Measurement Campaigns (PI).
– Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence for Satellite Communications (PI).
– Satellite Network of Experts V (Contractual Manager, co-PI).
He also participated in technology transfer projects with industries (names of the companies are hidden due to confidentiality restrictions):
- M2M Feasibility analysis for low ARPU locations.
– WIreless SEnsor networks for Remote MONItoring.
– Antijamming and Low Probability of Interception Communications over LTE.
– Air Interface for Battery Powered Satellite M2M Terminals.
– Precoding for Multibeam Satellite Systems.
Ms.C and Ph.D. advisor
Co-supervised 1 Ph.D. (UPC on the topic of Precoding in Multibeam Satellite Systems), and over 6 Ms.C. and Bs.C. (EETAC and TelecomBCN).
Roles in Conferences
- Special Session Organizer: Signal processing and machine learning for satellite and space communications in ICASSP 2020.
- Panel Organizer: 5G World Forum Industry Panel, Industry Perspectives for AI Applications in Future Wireless Communication Systems. Participants: Jean Paul Pallois, Javan Erfanian, Chih-Lin I, Magnus Frodigh, Alain Mourad.
- Technical co-chair: 9th EAI International Conference on Wireless and Satellite Systems (formerly PSATS), 2017.
- Financial Chair: IEEE ASMS-SPSC 2016 Conference in Palma de Mallorca, 5-7 Sep.
- Organizer: IEEE S3P Summer School in Signal Processing for Satellite Communications 2016.
In the last years he has been TPC member of IEEE Globecom, ICC, EUSIPCO, 5G World Forum and ASMS/SPSC.
Talks and Tutorials
- Ana Pérez, Miguel Ángel Vázquez, 5G Satellites and beyond: a new Interference-limited paradigm; Tutorial in EUSIPCO 2017 August 2017, Koos, Greece.
- Ana Pérez, Miguel Ángel Vázquez, Marius Caus, Next Generation Satellites: an Interference‐limited paradigm; Tutorial in IEEE Global Communications Conference (IEEE Globecom 2016) 4-8 December 2016, Washington, DC USA.
- Ana Pérez, Miguel Ángel Vázquez, Marius Caus, Interference Mitigaton Techniques in Multibeam Satellite; School on Signal Processing Techniques for Satellite Communications, April 26 Ghent.
Participation in Industry Forums
- Participant of Networld2020 Satellite Communications Working Group.
- Co-chair of Wireless World Research Forum Working Group on Artificial Intelligence.
- Participant of NATO Industrial Advisory Board for study group SG 254 – 5th Generation International Mobile Telecommunications for NATO Operations.
Generation of IPR
A. Pantelis-Daniel, G. Alberto, T. Giorgio, C. Dimitrios, C. Symeon, O. Björn, M. Á. Vázquez, A. I. Pérez-Neira, A. Stefano, V. CORALLI, Alessandro, Joint Transmitter Signal Processing in Multi-beam Satellite Systems , International Application Nº: PCT/EP2015/058023. Granted patent: EP2958249 A1
ORCID ID: orcid.org/0000-0002-1659-5390
ARTES FPE 1A.104
Grant number 645047