J. Oriol Font Bach (Terrassa, 1981) received his M.Sc. degree in Computer Engineering from Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) in 2004 and the Ph.D. at the Department of Signal Theory and Communications (TSC) of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC) in 2013. As part of his initial post-graduate studies he also obtained a Master in Design of Intregrated Circuits from UAB in 2006.
In November 2006 he joined the CTTC, where he currently holds a researcher position, as part of the PHYCOM department. His main work revolves around optimized digital design techniques, hardware-software co-design and real-time implementation and prototyping of advanced baseband Digital Signal Processing (DSP) algorithms and systems for modern and future wireless communications technologies. The focus of his experimental research is specifically laid on the efficient FPGA or SoC-based realization of advanced PHY-layer solutions for broadband multi-carrier and multi-antenna systems (including its posterior realistic validation using the the GEDOMIS testbed).
His main research interest areas include digital design of baseband DSP processing engines for broadband wireless communication systems, optimized hardware/software co-design techniques, real-time implementation of bit-intensive PHY-layer solutions including run-time adaptivity (e.g., closed-loop MIMO-OFDM(A), interference-aware LTE femtocells or filter-bank multi-carrier systems), real-world wireless communication-system prototyping accounting for mobile channels and hardware limitations, design automation and efficient IP reuse.
Participation in R&D projects:
- “EMPhAtiC: Enhanced Multicarrier Techniques for Professional Ad-Hoc and Cell-Based Communications”, (01/09/2012 – 01/03/2015) FP7 project, funded by the EC (ICT-318362).
- “GRE3N: General Radio concepts for ENergy cogNizant mobile communicatioNs”, (01/01/12 – 31/12/14) CICYT 2011, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
- “BeFEMTO – Broadband Evolved FEMTO Network”, (01/2012-06/2012), FP7 project, funded by the EC (ICT-FP7-248523). Leading role: real-time FPGA-based prototyping of a LTE-based Femto/Macro interference management scheme.
- “GEDOMIS-ADCOMM: GEDOMIS-ADaptive physical layer implementation of advanced multi-antenna COMMunication schemes”, (01/2011 – 01/2013), 2010 VALOR 00198, funded by AGAUR (Generalitat de Catalunya).
- “BeMImoMAX: Baseband MIMO-OFDM mobile WiMAX transceiver”, (industrial project).
- “BuNGee: Beyond Next Generation Mobile Broadband”, (01/01/10 – 30/06/12) FP7 project, funded by the EC. Grant agreement no: 248267.
- “MIMOWA: MIMO technologies for Wireless Access”, (01/01/07 – 30/06/09), Medea+ program (Ref: 2A103) funded by the Spanish Ministry of Industry, Commerce & Tourism.
- “eCADPE: Entorno de código abierto para diseño de/con plataformas empotradas (embedded)”, (2005), PROFIT program (Ref: FIT-350110-2005-106) funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science & Technology.
- “Entorno de Diseño, Validación y Prototipado de Componentes Virtuales (IP) para CIs mediante Nanotecnologías aplicadas a Sistemas de Comunicaciones Ópticas e Inalámbricas”, (2003-2005), PROFIT program (Ref: TIC2001-2508, FIT-070000-2003-469, FIT-330100-2004-107) funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science & Technology.
Awards and grants:
- M.Sc. studentship, UAB Mircoelectronics Department/CEPHIS (September 2003-July 2004).
- M.Sc. studentship, National Mircroelectronics Center (IMB-CNM CSIC) (September 2004-December 2004).
- FPI (Formació de Personal Investigador) program funded by Generalitat de Catalunya, National Microelectronics Center (IMB-CNM CSIC) (January 2005-November 2006).
- Torres Quevedo (TQV) program, Spanish Ministry of Education & Science, National plan of scientific research, technologic development and innovation. Ref: PTQ06-02-0540.
2014 SGR 1551
Project number: PROFIT FIT-330225-2007-2, TSI-020400-2008-150, TSI-020400-2009-44
Project code: 2009SGR1046
Contract code: TEC2011-29006-C03-01
H2020-ICT-2014-2 / ICT-14-2014-671563