BeMImoMAX is a FPGA-ready HDL reference designdeveloped at CTTC, which showcases a real-time PHY-layer implementation of the IEEE 802.16e-2005 standard (mobile WiMAX). BeMImoMAX combines a 2×2 MIMO scheme and a wide bandwidth of 20MHz to enable a high performance operation at baseband. Other antenna schemes are also offered as optional add-ons (i.e., SISO and 1×2 SIMO).
The PHY-layer was first modeled in MATLAB
using a subset of the flexible WiMAX-OFDM specifications. Each of the processing blocks comprising the MATLAB model of the receiver and transmitter were then mapped to custom VHDL code
and co-simulations were carried out to verify functional correctness. The RTL code of BeMImoMAX -Release 1-
was eventually prototyped using the VHS-DAC, VHS-ADC, DRC-V4 & SMQUADV4 boards of Nutaq and validated using the full set-up of the GEDOMIS®
testbed. BeMImoMAX is currently being modified -Release 1.1-
to target the Nutaq Perseus 601X and Radio 420X boards.
- 20 MHz channel bandwidth
- Programmable modulation: QPSK, [16,64,256]QAM
- Maximum un-coded peak data rate: 117.67 Mbits/s
- Maximum spectral efficiency: 5.8835 bits/s/Hz
- BeMImoMAX surpasses current WiMAX performance requirements
- Matlab bit-true & cycle-true accuracy models
- VHDL implementation with high fixed point precision & negligible losses
- Real-time FPGA-based operation
- Accounts interoperability dependencies (baseband, RF & channel)
- Estimates and compensates signal impairments
- Mobility validation: using channel emulator, using antenna transmission
- WiMAX standard compliance testing with Agilent’s VSA
- Complete source code documentation
Download the BeMImoMAX brochure to get an insight to more detailed technical specifications and an overview of its architecture and operation.
COMING UP NEXT
The next version of BeMImoMAX -Release 2.0- is planned for the first semester of 2013. This will provide a sophisticated reference design based on the IEEE 802.16e-2005 standard, which will feature a real-time a closed-loop multi-antenna system with adaptive subcarrier allocation, adaptive modulation, feedback generation and feedback processing.
As of February 27, 2012 BeMImoMAX is available to purchase from:
- FPGA-ready HDL-based IP & bit-true Matlab model: Order BeMImoMAX here
- Contact email: sales (at) nutaq (dot) com
- Stand-alone HDL-based IP (black box) & bit-true Matlab model
- Contact email: bemimomax (at) cttc (dot) es
The commercialization of BeMImoMAX has been supported by the Autonomic Catalan Government under the grant 2010 VALOR 198 (AGAUR, ACC1Ó).
CTTC (Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya)