Radio Communications Lab.
The Radio Communications Lab. is provided with several SW and HW tools for mixed-domain and multiple-purpose testing, troubleshooting and validation:
- Signal creation software for numerous wireless standards:
- Validation & Fine tuning of CTTC designs at baseband, RF and microwave frequencies.
- Digital baseband HW&SW tools to enable digital baseband generation, capture, impair, playback and real world signal conditions emulation.
- High-performance Vector Signal Generators (up to 6GHz) capable of interfacing with signal creation software.
- Ultra low phase noise CW source from up to 1GHz (in 0.001Hz step resolution).
- Broadband RF Noise Generators (AWGN, from 5 to 2150MHz) for BER vs SNR testing.
- Signal evaluation and PHY troubleshooting software tools. Specific standard signal modulation analysis packages dedicated to numerous wireless standards.
- Spectrum/Signal analyzer (up to 26.5GHz) & multichannel oscilloscope (up to 10GHz, 20/40 GSa/s) capable of interfacing with signal evaluation tools.
- Logic analyzer for system-level debugging of digital designs.
- MIMO validation Testbench through joint use of multiple vector signal generators, MIMO radio channel emulator (AccesLab), and multi-channel oscilloscope.
The Laboratory is also provided with several RF, mixedsignal and baseband hardware platforms that are mainly used to develop or construct the Testbeds (i.e GEDOMIS ® Testbed):
- Multi-band and multi-channel (2-ch WiFi 2.4/5.2 GHz, 2-ch WiMAX 2.6/5.8 GHz) RF Transceiver developed at CTTC.
- Ultra-high-performance commercial off-the-shelf 4-ch 20 to 3000 MHz reconfigurable RF downconverter.
- High-speed, multi-channel data acquisition and digital-to-analog conversion platforms equipped with up to eight phase-synchronous ADCs and DACs, with independent software-programmable amplifiers, hosting high-capacity Virtex-4 FPGA.
- cPCI development board to help develop and test DSP algorithms (designed around two clusters of one Virtex- 4 LX FPGA and two TMS320C6416 DSPs) including a complete board software development kit.
Some target applications are: Advanced base stations, smart antennas, multi-channel IF systems, beamformers, wireless applications (routers, OFDM antenna diversity, Wi-Fi, WiMAX), MIMO space-time coding, Software-defined radio (SDR), geolocation, cognitive radio, and real-time high-speed Test & Measurement systems.